Milna- church Our Lady of Annunciation
is a baroque-style church built in 1783. The church is adorned with an ornate facade and stone steps leading up to it. Its tall bell tower, built in the 16th century, is older than the church itself. Part of the church is also the sacristy – the original small church built in 1519. The inside of the church is cathedral-like, with plenty of light, with seven marble altars and valuable altarpieces, paintings by Venetian artists. The first of the two most valuable altarpieces is attributed to Sebastiano Ricci, and the second one, named Ascension of Mary, has “Paolo Veronese pixit 1500” written on the back. The church is also home to an organ from 1822, built by the Callido brothers from Italy.
Milna, Osibova bay – church of St. John the Baptist
from the 14th century, church of St. Joseph from the 19th century and the 14th Staiton of the Cross, built as small chapels between Milna and Osibova bay in early 18th century.
Milna, Ražanj lighthouse
The lighthouse was built in 1874, on the westernmost tip of Brač. Its octagonal stone tower and the adjoining building occupy 110m2. The tower rises from the middle of the facade, with a lantern-room at the top.
Milna – Baterija fortress
Remains of the Baterija fortress are located on the horn of Zaglav. Baterija was built in 1806, during the French administration of the island.
Milna – Gea Viva camp
was founded by the association Gea Viva with the goal of creating a space for inspiration, connection and creativity. The camp welcomes visitors, seminars, workshops and events.
Inside the camp you can see the stone circle auditorium that honors the power and intelligence of the heart. The camp also features a 6 m long dragon sculpture, a summer kitchen designed according to the golden ratio, a permaculture garden in a Venus flower shape and many other wonders, each filled with calm and relaxation provided by Mother Nature.
Ložišća – stone bridge
built at the top of Veliki dolac – a ravine believed to have been home to the river Elaphusa (or Bretanida, according to some). The bridge was built during the Austrian administration and is considered a bit of a wonder – a large bridge on what is today a waterless island. Locals affectionately call it The Franz Joseph bridge. It can be reached on foot through the village Ložišća or by car via the Ložišća bypass to the pjover, the old rainwater collection surface, just above the village. A macadam road takes you further, another 10 minutes on foot in the direction of northeast, through olive groves down a gentle road to the bridge.
Ložišća – St. John and St. Paul church
was built in 1820 and features a baroque facade and a stone courtyard in front of the church. The most prominent part of the church is its ornate bell tower, designed by the great Croatian sculptor Ivan Rendić and built in 1899.
Ložišća – archeological site Gradina Rat
Gradina Rat is a prehistoric settlement complex from the Late Bronze Age. Archeolo ts found living quarters made of interwoven twigs plastered with clay, dating back to 3000 years BC. The bronze objects discovered at the site are evidence of a prehistoric community that disappeared with the arrival of the Romans. Among the many locally made ceramic pottery artifacts were also pieces of fine pottery imported from the Greek or Italic world, sometime in the last millennium BC. A part of a spear, an axe and a sickle, found on the site, are in the archives of the Otok Brač foundation. Archeologists claim that the imported artifacts prove strong links between Gradina Rat and neighboring communities at the time. These ties were more significant than with any other settlement in the region. Ložišća is a great destination for scientific tourism, so make sure you don’t miss a chance to see this evidence of ancient civilizations.
Ložišća – Donji Pisk or Stara voda
Donji Pisk is one of the biggest rainwater collection facilities on Brač. Large surfaces collect rainwater which then flows through wide ramps into tanks and stone water containers used for watering livestock. This industrial installation was built in early 19th century and serves as an example of technical solution in agricultural cultivation.
Bobovišća n/m – Vladimir Nazor birth home
Besides its architectural value, the Vladimir Nazor house is also a memorial to the great Croatian poet who spent his childhood here. The 19th century stone house features two stone staircases, one on each side. The three-house complex is connected by several dormers which align with the windows on the first floor of the houses. Close to the house is the statue of Vladimir Nazor himself.
Bobovišća n/m – archeological site Vičja luka
This is both an underwater and land site where four prehistoric graves were discovered. The graves are covered with stone lids and contain several remains as well as various grave goods, such as jewelry made of bronze, amber and faience, bronze and ceramic pottery, Greek gemstones, Greek-Illyrian helmets and greaves. It is suspected that the graves were part of a necropolis dating between 5th and 3rd century BC.
Bobovišća n/m – Gligo castle – Cultural herritage
The Gligo castle is located at the sheltered side of the Bobovišće bay. Its large courtyard is surrounded by the three wings of the castle and a large defensive wall to the sea. The top of the defense wall holds remains of a walkway. Prominent in the eastern, Baroque part of the castle is a square, one-storey building with embrasure.The oldest, southern part of the castle holds several defensive elements, as well as Baroque dormers in the attic. Marinčević-Gligo family came to the fore in the late 17th century. Their castle is a valuable Baroque fortification, at the time important for the defense of the harbor, as well as the interior Brač.
Bobovišća n/m – The three sister tower
This symbolic tower, some call a sceninc viewpoint, made up of three concrete pillars and frieze, is somewhat hidden from view. It was built by Vladimir Nazor in memory of the sisters he had taken care of all his life. Carved on the pillars are the initials I, O and A, representing the three sisters: Irma, Olga and Amalija.
Symbolic fort built by Vladimir Nazor, using gathered rocks.
Bobovišća – Gligo family mansion – Cultural herritage
The Gligo family mansion is located on the western side of the village, toward the Bobovišća harbour and represents late Baroque Clasicism. This impressive two-storey building with a raised roof was built in the first half of the 19th century in the middle of a spacious garden. Builders used large stone blocks in even rows, with five windows on the longer side and two on the narrow side of the house. The Gligo mansion is one of the most striking examples of architectual achievement of its era on Brač, with the details on the facade and the interior walls, with its positioning, formiddable size and shape.
Podhume is a village a few kilometers away from Milna. Founded in the 17th century Podhume has been slowly abandoned. Even though today it is still uninhabited, several families run farms and keep livestock there. The church has been renovated on the occasion of the 82nd anniversary of the church of Our Lady of Lourdes as well as the 150th anniversary of the apparition, with the help of donations and the inhabitants of Brač.